This tutorial will show you how you can create a new user/member inside your OptimizeMember/OptimizePress website by using the Zapier API integration system
Zapier (http:///www.zapier.com) provides an easy to use system for integrating the API's of different platforms to send data between them. With the steps in this guide, you can integrate many different applications with your OptimizeMember site to have them send new user information and create a new user or member on your site as you require.
In this guide, I will show you how you can take data from a form submission in the Formstack system (http://www.formstack.com) and use this submission to create a new user inside your OptimizePress website
Before You Start
Before you start integrating your applications in Zapier, there are a few pieces of information you need to have prepared.
- Your Remote Operations API Key from OptimizeMember: to find this, go to OptimizeMember > API/Scripting > Pro API for Remote Operations and copy the key listed there
- The Level Number You wish to add a member to: you need to know what level number you want to add your new member to inside your OPM site
You'll also need to know what system you want to integrate with inside of Zapier - there are many options available but normally you'll have an idea of this in advance
Creating the Integration
In this example, I will be using a submission from a Formstack form to pass the information to Zapier, and then from there Zapier will send the information to the API system inside OptimizeMember to create the new member.
1. Create a New Zap
From your Zapier Dashboard, you need to click on the Make a new Zap button or link
2. Choose a Trigger app
You need to choose the trigger app for your integration. This is the app where the data or information is coming from. In my case this is Formstack, but this could be from Paypal, an email service provider like AWeber or some other service which Zapier has integrated.
3. Choose a Trigger action
You now need to select the trigger action from the App you are integrating. In my case the trigger is upon the submission of a new form, but this could be a successful sale at Paypal, or a new subscriber at your email service. The options will vary depending on the service you are using as your trigger app
4. Choose an Action App
Next we need to choose the app or system which is going to be creating the user inside of OptimizeMember. For this we use the Zapier "Web Hook" integration which allows us to create a custom integration with OptimizeMember.
You must select this option to create the integration with OptimizeMember
5. Choose an action
Now we need to choose an action for the Web Hook app to perform. For this we will use the "GET" action. It's important that you select this action otherwise the integration will not work
6. Continue to the next steps
Once you have completed the step of the intitial integrations, you need to click the "Continue" button to proceed to the final stages of the Zapier setup
7. Select the account you want to integrate with
Once you have clicked continue, you will be prompted to select the account you want to use from your trigger app. This may require you to login to the third party app to connect it with Zapier. In my case I have to select the account I am using at Formstack to use for this integration
This option will obviously be different for you depending on which App you are integrating with
8. Test the account and continue
Once you connect your trigger app account you might want to test the account to ensure it is working, then click continue. And then on the Web Hook stage there are no initial options to configure so just click continue again
9. Setup specific filters for this trigger/Zap
You now need to select the specific filter or information that is being used for this integration. Again, this will very depending on the apps you are integrating, but in my case I had to choose a specific form from Formstack which will be used for the submission
Depending on your requirements you may choose to setup additional filters, but those kind of settings would depend on the app you are using and are a little beyond the scope of this guide.
Once you're happy with the settings here, click continue.
10. Match up information to send to Web Hook
The final stage of the process is setting up the information which is going to be sent from your integrated trigger app to the Web Hook which then sends the information to your OptimizeMember site.
For this, we need to use a special URL which will send the information to the API system inside OptimizeMember. The URL includes your API Key and also your domain name - so please use the example below as a guide and replace the API key and domain URL with your information:
[This URL should be entered into the URL field]
If we break this down you can see the important things you need to replace:
- yourdomain.com - this must match your domain exactly. If you have www. in your domain this should also be included
- your api key - replace the 1234567890 with your API key which you should have found at the start of this tutorial
- The EMAIL_VALUE - use the "Insert Fields" option on the right of the URL field box to use specific fields from your form or integrated system for the email value.
- the data[optimizemember_level]=1 should be replaced with the level you want to add your user to
We can also add other values to the post URL if you wish including:
- data[user_pass] - user password (if left empty, OPM will auto generate it),
- data[first_name] - user first name,
- data[last_name] - user last name,
- data[optimizemember_level] - level number (if left empty, 0 will be used - free subscriber),
- data[optimizemember_ccaps] - packages (comma separated if more than one),
- data[opt_in] - 0|1 (if is set to 1, attempt to trigger defined auto-responders)
- data[notification] - 0|1 (if is set to 1, OPM will email new user with username/password)
It's important if you use any of these values, you add a & before the variable name for example:
ALWAYS ensure also that the &method=get is at the end of the call.
The end result may look something like this:
11. Leave other options as they are and continue
The other options in this section do not need to be changed, as long as your URL is correct. The final stage is to test the integration.
You can do a test by submitting some information through the process and then Zapier will pick this up - and you should check that a new user was created inside of your OptimizeMember site